Thursday, January 31, 2008

lions...tigers... and bears...oh my!

Ok...had to take this opportunity to confess my fears. I wonder if there are others out there that ever feel like this. Don't get me wrong-I love the sunny California weather. BUT, there are a few things that are ALWAYS in the back of my mind while I'm running. I laugh to my friends and family stating that if I were ever attacked by a bear or lion on my trail runs...well then... that must be the way my cards were laid out for me in life. I continue to run but the thoughts do haunt me. In December, a bear was reported to be seen in a tree. Authorities came and tranquilized him while up in a tree in order to place him safely in his own territory. Aren't they suppose to be hibernating by now?! The theory was that it had come down due to all the fires and need for food. Well... it came down into the very neighborhood we run in. Infact, 1 block from the trail head that we start at. Funny thing was that the week before, I had spotted a HUGE pile of bear poop on the trail. Not ever seeing bear poop before, I only half seriously asked my running partners "was that bear poop on the trail back there?". Our responses "no, they're hibernating and wouldn't come down this far". One week later... we saw our little friend with the big p---p on the news. Cute as this 400 lb. bear was-I felt like I had been a little too close to meeting him.

Last month, my friends and I did a local run that is not in the mountain but rather along the base. Being that it is down low, and in fact, around the Rose Bowl where hundreds of people walk and run everyday-we always felt safer here. Again, in the news, the very day we ran-a mountain lion was spotted and a picture taken. It was frightening to know and recognize the very spot we ran and the picture taken on the VERY SAME DAY we ran. Too close for comfort!

Now, things are a bit more calm, with no new animal sightings but I can't help but feel a bit afraid to run. I have been doing more street running but it just isn't the same. Will I let these fears stop me?... no, perhaps it is good practice for my next race!

No comments: